Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Snack Taste Test: Coconut Oreo Thins and Dunkin’ Donuts Mocha Oreos


It is pretty hard to keep up with all the Oreo flavors these days, but two recently caught my attention as flavors I didn’t want to miss out on. I do wish that Nabisco would sell mini sample packs of each of the Oreo flavors that come out, so that I could try more without stressing about wasting cookies, since I usually can’t eat them all (except for the brownie batter ones…). What I liked about both of these cookies was that they had the traditional chocolate wafer cookie, which is my favorite part of an Oreo. The creme is the fun part to switch up for me, and these coconut and mocha flavors were right up my alley. 

First up, these Coconut Oreo Thins were actually my first foray into Oreo Thins. Until this point, I just wasn’t overly interested in this somewhat recent line. Surprisingly, they have been coming out with a lot of flavors and as soon as I saw coconut, I knew I would most likely enjoy them. 



Having never had an Oreo Thin, I was pretty curious how they would compare in taste and texture to a normal Oreo. The size is roughly half of a traditional Oreo. The serving size backs this up, with four cookies being advised (where normal Oreos are two per serving). So, if you are at all interested in these being “lighter” or less calories, you would have to stick to just one or two at a time to really make any difference. If you have four, like the serving says, you’ll be having the same number of calories as two regular Oreos. Because of that, I don’t really quite get the reasoning behind these, since I figure if you don’t like regular Oreos, why would you like them in a thinner version? And if you do like Oreos, you probably would rather just stick to the regular version. I guess we can stick these with the mini and double-stuff fans in the middle. 


Naturally, I wasn’t really expecting to care one way or the other for these in terms of the “thin” aspect, but I ended up really liking them. My mom, who isn’t really overly fond of Oreos in general, said she liked them more than regular Oreos. So, I guess I found someone these might cater too. She enjoyed the size of them more, the light crunch they had, and found them easier to eat in terms of crumbling. I personally did find a strange joy in the crispness of the wafer cookie. It felt more of what you would think of when you hear “wafer” because of the thin aspect. It was very light, but not overly flimsy. I did try to twist one of the wafers off though, and had a bit of trouble keeping it in perfect condition. Most importantly, the coconut filing was noticeable and worked well with the chocolate. The cream is quite a small layer, but it was bright and smooth. It was weird to have such a delicate crunch, but it really worked nicely. I would definitely buy these again, and would try other flavors in this line because of how much I liked these. The problem with these though, are that they are so light, you may find yourself eating more than you should!



Next up are the Dunkin’ Donuts Mocha Oreos. Although real mochas make my stomach churn, I love the flavor of mocha in other treats like cookies or ice cream. Plus, I am a Dunkin’ fan, so I was interested in the flavor boldness. I figured this flavor would go very well with the chocolate wafer simply because Mochas have chocolate. 



Right away, the coffee flavor is noticeable when you open the package. At first taste the coffee is vivid, without being bitter like some coffee treats. What I noticed the most though was just how fluffy the mocha cream was. It was very light and more whipped up than what you find in most Oreos, almost giving it a piped on look. This touch made the cookie even better. I would like to see more coffee-themed Oreos, like vanilla latte, cappuccino, caramel macchiato, or maybe seasonal flavors like peppermint mocha and pumpkin spice latte. These Mocha Oreos are a fun treat to get your coffee fix, and for me, perfect alongside a cup of tea. I would put this in my top favorites of the Oreo flavors I have tried.




Here are a few comparisons between the Oreo Thins and regular Oreo sizes.

 


Two of the Mocha Oreos (left) next to four of the Coconut Oreo Thins (right)



No comments:

Post a Comment