Friday, October 6, 2017

Disney World Vs. Disneyland 2017 Visit: Top Picks!



This past summer, I had the opportunity to take two unexpected trips to the Disney Parks. As much as I want to visit the Disney Parks every year, I didn’t expect that I would be able to this year, especially given that I had been to Disney World in both 2015 and 2016. My first trip came about after a friend asked me to help her plan and come with her on a trip to Universal Studios, specifically because of her excitement over the newly opened Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon Ride. I have been to Universal Studios Orlando two times prior, but as I was going through different price comparisons for her to consider, I started to realize that Disney World would be a better price overall and you could stay on property in a value resort for two more days than the cheapest Universal on-property hotel was. Knowing her as well, I figured she would have more fun at Disney than Universal for multiple days. She had been to Disney World once as a child, and had a few favorite memories, so she was swayed very quickly into agreeing that a Disney trip may be a better experience. So, before we knew it, we were both heading to Disney World for a week (with one day at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure).


We were very impressed with our Value Resort, Disney’s Pop Century. Split into sections representing different decades, we stayed in the 50s section, with the Lady and the Tramp looking over us and a bowling pin-shaped pool.




My other trip came together very quickly after I learned about a week of showings of A Goofy Movie at the Disney El Capitan theatre in Hollywood. I mused to my mom how I wished we could go, being it is my favorite childhood movie (and still at the top of my favorite movies to this day). She unexpectedly suggested we look into how much it would cost to go, and before I knew it, we were taking a road trip! While we were only able to spend three whole days in California, we stayed in Anaheim and had two days at the Disneyland Resort, with one day driving around to a few sights in the Los Angeles area.



For my previous visits I created “Top Picks” lists based on the things I most enjoyed. To change it up, I thought it would be fun to share what I loved most about each place this year, as well as a comparison of experiences.

Check out my previous picks here:


Disney World

Being this was my third visit to Disney Wold in three years, I have begun to appreciate it even more and find myself less stressed to fit as much in as I can, and enjoy the little things more. Since my friend enlisted me to help her plan a trip, and she hadn’t been to Disney World since she was a child, I prioritized things she remembered she liked. Two of those things were Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. Since my previous visits were very recent, I also took her to the things I thought she would really enjoy and figured out the attractions that weren’t there when she had visited. Here were the highlights for me!

Walking around Pandora: The World of Avatar: Pandora was the newest addition to the Disney World attraction lineup since my last visit. I think that many can agree with my feelings that while I wasn’t particularly excited about the theme and general idea behind the land, I figured it would be amazing because of the technology and attention to detail the Imagineers at Disney have. I tried to get as much of Pandora in during our day at Animal Kingdom, and I surprisingly had success checking everything off my list in a short amount of time. Long story short, Pandora is a beautiful land worth the visit! 

My plan of attack for this new land was to arrive to Animal Kingdom about 20 minutes before opening, and once allowed in, head right to the Na’vi River Journey ride. Most of the crowd headed to the Flight of Passage ride (which already had about a 2 hour wait by the time we got to the edge of Pandora), and so we were able to walk right onto our ride. We managed to get in and out of the Na’vi River Journey before 9:00 am. We then left the land for a bit to enjoy other attractions before returning to Pandora a bit before noon with a FastPass for Flight of Passage. After riding that, we had lunch at the Satu’li Canteen, walked around to check out the scenery, and then finally returned later in the day for a snack. Considering I had been anticipating the worst in terms of crowds and wait times, I was so pleased with what we were able to see. 


In terms of what I thought about the attractions, they were really great additions to Animal Kingdom. While the Na’vi River Journey isn’t particularly exciting, it is very beautiful and whimsical. The blues, purples, and green colors that are throughout the ride are mesmerizing. The ride is short, and maybe could have used another larger scene, it is a relaxing experience.

The main ride, Flight of Passage, is really innovative and immersive. I had read people say it is a combination of the Disney Park ride Soarin’ and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride at Universal Studios. Having been on both, I can agree that those two rides have a similar aspect, but Flight of Passage really does make you feel particularly inside the situation your are set into. The basis of the ride involves being given an Avatar in order to fly on a banshee through Pandora. From the seat you sit in, the screen that encompasses you, and the sights and smells, the ride allows you to forget you are in a room with other people and really feel transported. I’m usually not easily impressed with simulation rides, and honestly feel like they easily become a bit of a cop-out effort, but this is much more than a traditional simulation. Since I’m not super excited about riding a banshee though, I can’t help but wish that this ride’s technology could have been used for something more “Disney” like flying on Baymax from Big Hero 6 or on a spaceship from Lilo & Stitch. The Avengers would also be absolutely awesome using this concept. This ride does make me excited to see what else the Disney Parks will have up their sleeve in the future with planned Star Wars and Marvel projects.


Strangely though, I would say my favorite thing I experienced was the Satu’li Canteen. The food was exciting because it was so unique, but also very tasty. The prices weren’t too terrible either, so to have both quality and taste for the price was great. We ended up trying the vegetable steamed curry pods, cheeseburger steamed pods, and blueberry cream cheese mousse. We loved it so much, we honestly considered coming back and ordering the same thing for dinner. The pods were stuffed full, and served with a vegetable slaw and vegetable chips. While the curry pod was yummy (with an eggplant, cauliflower, sweet potato, and carrots mixture) it was the cheeseburger pods that were so fascinating to us. It truly tasted like a cheeseburger (with beef, ketchup, mustard, pickle, and cheese) but in such a different form. The blueberry cream cheese mousse is something I will be dreaming about for a long time as well.


When we returned for a snack later in the day, we also tried the Pongu Lumpia (pineapple cream cheese spring roll) at the Pongu Pongu drink stand. It was starting to rain, so we had to huddle in our ponchos under an area by the stand, but we were so excited to try this treat (so excited, that I forgot to snap a picture of it). It was very tasty, especially if you love pineapple (although the Dole Whip is still my favorite pineapple Disney treat).

The land itself is both fascinating and gorgeous, so walking around to check out the detailing is a must. Because the land was so busy, I also really appreciated the added bonus of how the rest of Animal Kingdom was pretty mellow with low crowds. In the morning in particular, it was incredibly quiet, and all the rides had almost no wait. My favorite Disney World ride is Expedition Everest, so this was awesome for me being able to ride it so easily. 


Ultimately, although I still have some reservations about the choice to bring Avatar to the Disney Parks, I am excited to return and think it has been a solid addition to my favorite Disney World Park, Animal Kingdom. I can’t wait to return so my mom can see what I enjoyed in Pandora. 

Mobile Ordering at Restaurants: When we went on our trip, mobile ordering had just launched, so it was only offered in a few restaurants. We decided to take advantage of it, and were very impressed. We ended up being able to use it two times, both at Animal Kingdom. The service allowed us to choose a restaurant, select what we wanted on the menu, then order and confirm. Once we were ready to eat, we clicked that we wanted to pick up our order, then a message soon appeared on my phone notifying us that our food was ready and what window to go to. It really was so nice to not wait in line, something that can take a surprisingly long amount of time. We are usually quite prepared in what we want to order too, so to not feel anxious about slow lines was nice. This service has since expanded to more restaurants, and I would highly recommend using it if possible. It didn’t seem like many were using it when we went, but hopefully the service will be successful enough to stick around and continue to expand to more restaurants. 

Heading to The Festival of The Lion King During a Rainstorm: While I think Festival of The Lion King is a must for anyone who has not seen the show, I wasn’t really super pumped to attend it this time around, but knew my friend had to see it. It ended up being one of our favorite memories from the trip because we unexpectedly got trapped in the theater. What happened was that when we went into the theater for a showing, it was bright and sunny outside. When the show was over though, the doors to exit the theater opened and it was an absolute downpour. We couldn’t even see anything but white and the walkways were starting to flood because of all the rain. A large crowd huddled by the doors and we were a bit panicked about having to go out in it, but put on our ponchos. Most of us looked like we didn’t want to leave and the heavy rain just kept coming. As the next show time approached, the Cast Members eventually told us we could stick around for the next showing as long as we went into the back rows of the theater. 

So, we found a seat and soon watched the show all over again, enjoying it even more than the first time because what was going to happen was fresh in our mind and we couldn’t help but be giddy that we got to stay. Sitting (and starting to sweat) in our ponchos looked pretty silly and we got a bit delirious as we giggled at some of the aerobics in the show. Once that show ended, we were told we could even stick around for the final showing of the day, but we decided to chance going out and it did start to clear up a bit (although right outside the theater a drain got overwhelmed and we ended up getting our shoes drenched as we tried to get around it as a Cast Worker began fixing the clog). Our back-to-back showing though was memorable and a we couldn’t help but laugh at the crazy ups and downs of the weather. My friend told me she has since watched the show on YouTube when she is feeling sad or stressed.



Finding a Nook to Enjoy a Treat and People Watch: We had some wonderful little breaks by finding a corner or a spot away from the crowds and enjoying a snack. It’s amazing little details you may find in the park’s design or the joy at seeing the various Disney shirts and accessories people are wearing. Some of the snacks I had my friend try were the Citrus Swirl, Dole Whip, and Lefou’s Brew. I also got to try the Cheshire Cat Tail, which was new since I had last visited. My friend wanted a Mickey Pretzel the most of everything though, so I made sure we had that the first full day of our trip. Along with some awesome treats at Epcot (I can’t pass up a Macaron Ice Cream Sandwich at L'Artisan des Glaces!), we really managed to try quite a few items by splitting them between the two of us. I quite enjoy planning out snacks I want to try, or favorites I can’t miss, because they really help cut up the day. I’m a park open-to-close person, so it is important to remember to stay hydrated and take in the little moments instead of constantly going. 

Cheshire Cat Tail from the Cheshire Café in Magic Kingdom

Citrus Swirl from the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Magic Kingdom

Dole Whip from Aloha Isle in Magic Kingdom

Giant Donut from Joffrey’s Coffee outside the Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios

Enjoying a Meal at a Themed Restaurant: Along with planning stops for Disney snacks and treats, I also like to have at one dining reservation each day. I find that this really helps provide a proper time to sit down to get refreshed. Our favorites on this trip were the Jungle Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom, the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater in Hollywood Studios, and the 50's Prime Time Café at Hollywood Studios. The theming was spot on and so fun in all of them, plus they were all places I hadn’t gone to during my previous stays. These meals really kept us in a fun magical bubble, plus we did enjoy everything we ordered.

Curried Vegetable Crew Stew from the Jungle Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom (with the most delicious coconut rice!)


The Sci-fi Dine-In Theater in Hollywood Studios, where we split a reuben and caprese sandwich while we took in the outdoor-theater theming


The 50's Prime Time Café, where we split an order of “A Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes” and earned a sticker for finishing our meal

Splitting Magic Kingdom into Two Days: This was absolutely key for me this time around. When my friend and I were in the beginning stages of planning, we felt like for all we wanted to do at Magic Kingdom, we needed two days in order to get to it all. During my other visits to Magic Kingdom, I felt a little overwhelmed at getting to everything, and left the park feeling both completely exhausted and a bit unsatisfied that I had missed big things. I think this really did affect how I felt about Magic Kingdom during my previous visits because it just seemed like a bit too much it terms of all the people there and the spread out nature of the park. Since Magic Kingdom tends to be the busiest park with the most attractions and rides, bustling through the park amongst everyone and waiting in lines for everything can make you feel more than worn out. By doing two full days there, we were able to split the park in half and properly see almost everything there is to offer. I was able to appreciate the park a lot more after this. 


We ended up splitting the park by focusing on Adventureland, Liberty Square, and Frontierland the first day followed by Fantasyland and Tomorrowland on the second. We got through things fairly quickly on our second day, and returned to some of our favorite attractions for the rest of the day with very little stress. Our favorite land is Frontierland, so we were able to spend a lot of time there, making for some wonderful memories.

Going on Rides Multiple Times During Fireworks: I’ve always found that going on rides while a large portion of park visitors are at a parade or fireworks show is such a great time to quickly get on your favorite rides, but sometimes at those times you can be exhausted. In general, I don’t often go to the parades or fireworks because of how thick the crowds can be, and how poor your view can be because of this (and I’m personally not too keen on paying for dessert parties or getting a spot a few hours early), so I like to just do my favorite rides instead. My friend and I managed to get on Splash Mountain (her favorite) and Thunder Mountain (my favorite) quite a few times on our first day. During our second day at Magic Kingdom though, literally had an evening Marathon of Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain because of the low wait times during the fireworks show. I think we managed to get on Splash Mountain three times and Thunder Mountain five times total. We got on Splash Mountain one final time right before closing, which gave us the most amount of time possible in the parks. When we got off the ride, we got to see Cinderella Castle up close and beautifully lit up, with almost no other people around. I’ve always struggled to get a nice night-time photo of the castle because of all the crowds, but this time I finally got some wonderful shots. Both of us were very amped up because of our excitement at all the rides we got to do, that we had trouble going to sleep because of our adrenaline!





Pin Trading Around the Park: Because I have always gone to the Disney Parks with my mom, I never really thought much about Pin Trading, since it isn’t something my mom would be interested in. I can definitely agree with her thoughts on how expensive pins are, but I’ve definitely have a soft spot for these gorgeous little souvenirs. When it comes to the Disney pins though, I never really thought I would end up with pins that I wanted to trade, since I have only chosen pins I knew I would want to keep. 

My friend was very excited to check out all the pins because her family had purchased some ride-themed pins during her childhood trip. We decided to buy some mystery packs to split between the two of us, which was really fun (and by splitting them, they were a bit cheaper for the both of us, and we were able to choose the ones we wanted). She ended up with a few she was willing to trade, so she made her first trade at a shop in Magic Kingdom. From that moment on, she was obsessed. I took a bit longer to get into it, and didn’t trade until the last two days on the trip, but ended up trading four pins total. I really enjoyed looking for finds on the pin boards and lanyards, and we excitedly hurried over when we saw a large selection. While there were a certain amount of the same pin (that clearly people aren’t too interested in) that ended up on many pin boards, I was quite happy with the pins I ended up with. While you have to be careful about some of the “scrapper” (or fake) pins out there, it was fun to see the variety of pins people were trading and the Hidden Mickey pins out there. It definitely added another fun element to our trip, allowing us to talk to some Cast Members, and end up with special souvenirs. I definitely plan to pin trade the next time I go to Disney World!



Disneyland

It had been three years since my last visit to Disneyland, which was before I ever made my first trip to Disney World. I was curious if my experience would feel different now that I have Disney World adventures in my mind. Being that I have always held Disneyland at such a high regard, having it be my first Disney memories going to the park many times as a child, I was so excited to see be able to visit again. 

Honestly the experience was a bit unexpected for me though, in the sense that I felt a bit scattered while at the park. I think having been to Disney World three times now in the time since I visited Disneyland really messed my memory up, and not having a MagicBand left me feeling a bit unorganized. I had made a general checklist of what I wanted to do, and had a dining reservation as well as snacks to try, but felt that it took me some time to remember the layout of the park as well as mentally space out what I wanted to accomplish throughout the day. Ultimately I left feeling that I had missed a lot that I had hoped to see, and wished I had more time.



In addition, a small disappointment for me was that both The Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain were down to prepare for their seasonal overlays. While I did know about the closures before going, I never visit the park without at least one ride on each of those. I am also a passionate Disneyland Space Mountain fan (plus, I was very curious to see if it still held up in my mind). When it comes to Disney’s California Adventure though, I find that I am enjoying it more and more each visit. This was only my third time at this park, but slowly it is becoming a favorite of mine because of the relaxed pace and beautiful scenery from Cars Land, Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar Pier) and Grizzly River Run.



The El Capitan Theatre: While this isn’t actually in Disneyland, I wanted to add it to the top of my list, because if you are a Disney fan and can make a trip to see a film here, it is so worth it. I would put being able to go to this beautiful theatre, and see a favorite movie of mine, one the top things I have been able to do in my life. If you are unfamiliar, the El Capitan Theatre is a restored theatre on Hollywood Boulevard, where Disney not only hold premieres of their newest films, but also aires showings of various classic Disney films. 


Another draw of many of the showings is that you can meet a character from the film. We went to see A Goofy Movie on a Tuesday afternoon, with Max being available for photos as soon as we walked into the theater with our tickets. This was a big deal for me, because I was obsessed with Max Goof as a child, and have an old photo of me with Max at Disneyland that I had framed for many years (there are also two random boys in my photo who I did not know, which always makes me laugh, but I still cherish it). Max apparently sometimes makes appearances at Disneyland, but they are random and you can’t really plan for it. So, to have an opportunity to meet him was a huge plus. I think I will keep my new photo framed forever! 


Once seated, we practically had the balcony to ourselves. The theater was beautiful, and we enjoyed popcorn and soda, making it feel like a very classic movie experience. Before the show, Max came out again to do the “Perfect Cast” dance from the film, which was a brilliant surprise. Seeing the film itself on a big screen was pretty amazing (and I may have teared up a few times) and I am so grateful I got to experience it. I know if I lived in the area, I would be coming to this theater often.


Using MaxPass: While not as awesome as a MagicBand, the MaxPass program allows you to book your FastPasses on your phone instead of walking around the park to get paper tickets. I found that the service helped cut down on wasted time, given that we were only there for a quick visit. We used it to the fullest for the rides available, and ultimately didn’t wait in any lines at all (getting into the parks and standing in line for food ended up being our longest waits). MaxPass, also includes free downloads of any photos taken on rides or by photographers in the park. Presumably, the price will raise at some point, and I don’t think I would ever want to pay much more than the $10 price (given that FastPasses are still free), but for someone who does not get to go to the park super often, it felt worth it. The crowd levels were fairly low when we were there, so I imagine on very busy days the service might be even more beneficial. The PhotoPass benefit itself is definitely worth the $10 (you could even just have one person in your group pay for a MaxPass just so you can have the photos), because at Disney World I never get the PhotoPass because personally it seems too expensive for me to warrant, given how we don’t put a large emphasis on the photo opportunities.





Buying a Silhouette on Main Street: I’m putting this second on my list, because it was a big “Disneyland Bucket List” item for me. I had feared I had put it off too late in the evening, but it ended up being the highlight of my day and one of my favorite Disneyland experiences. I was the final customer at the shop, and was met with an incredibly talented man who created my silhouette. I was truly amazed at how he was able to just look at my profile and cut it out, with no sketching or drawing at all. Honestly, as he was doing it, I just couldn’t believe it was actually going to look like me. So, once he showed the finish product, I was genuinely shocked. He was so natural as he worked and also chatted to me about where he came from, when he started his job (over 40 years ago!), and showed me a photo of his first year working at the park. He was so kind and had such an interesting story (and a specifically noteworthy career!), the kind that genuinely makes a Disney “magic” moment. I honestly can’t express just how much I recommend this experience for anyone, because it really makes for a truly unique and special souvenir. Plus, each silhouette is only $9, which is quite reasonable for something so customized. I got my silhouette alongside a Mickey silhouette, and also got it framed in a hidden Mickey style oval frame. For me, I really wanted to have this done at Disneyland so I can always remember the joy it brings me and the special memories I have had with my family over the years.

Eating Fried Chicken at the Plaza Inn: This was another item on my bucket list, and felt it was finally time to check it off. My favorite meal at Disneyland has to still be the Monte Cristo and Pomme Frites at Café Orleans (which I had to enjoy this time around as well), but this fried chicken plate is now pretty close to the top. I don’t think in my entire life I have actually ordered fried chicken (nor have had it often, as I am much more of a chicken strip person), but if there is one place to do it, it is Disneyland. The plate came with three pieces of chicken, green beens, mashed potatoes, and a biscuit. It was scrumptious and amazing and I shall dream about it until I can have it again.


Enjoying a Matterhorn Macaroon from the Jolly Holiday Bakery: I intended to get this right away in the morning (and even made a note to myself on my checklist to not forget), but it just slipped my mind as I got busy trying to get to some favorite attractions after entering the Park. It hit me at night that I had forgotten it, but still went over to the bakery to see if they had any left. There were three available, so I was able to snag one before leaving the park. I ended up saving it for my mom and I to share for “breakfast” the following morning. While it wasn’t fresh the next day, it was still absolutely delicious. I do love coconut, but don’t really consider coconut macaroons a favorite of mine. This was so tasty, with a bit of a fluffy cookie aspect to it when compared to a traditional macaroon. You can’t beat the awesome theming behind it either! I would absolutely get this again during my next trip.


Trying a Few Seasonal Treats: I may be someone who gets excited and falls for all the newest additions to the Parks, but being as I can’t go to there as much as I want to, I love being able to try things that are available for a limited time. This time around, I was able to try blackberry Mickey beignets, Groot Bread, The Milano Fanta orange drink, and racing stripe churros. The Groot Bread had to be my favorite because it was too adorable (but not too adorable to eat). While probably not seasonal, I also tried the Grey Stuff Gâteau (which was amazing and 1000% better than Disney World’s version) as well as the Jungle Julep, which ended up being two of my favorite snack items. Just like my time at Disney World, planning fun snacks throughout the day, and having someone to share them with, really makes for some fun relaxing moments.

The Milano (Studio Catering Co. in California Adventure)  Jungle Julep (Bengal Barbecue in Disneyland)

Blackberry Mickey beignets (Mint Julep Bar in Disneyland)

Grey Stuff Gâteau (Red Rose Taverne in Disneyland) Sourdough Groot Bread (Fairfax Market in California Adventure)

Watching a Performance of Mickey and the Magical Map: This seems like something that would be easily overlooked, but I made sure to see a showing of it. What I loved about this show was that it featured a wide array of characters (including a few of my favorites like Mulan and Rapunzel), while being able to sit in an outdoor theater. Plus, it is nice to see Mickey in a show!


Riding Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!: I was excited to check out the newest attraction at California Adventure, and we headed straight for it once we entered the park. We rode it three times total, and ended up with three different songs, which made us feel pretty lucky. As much as I love the Tower of Terror, I wasn’t terribly upset they were changing the California version, since Disney World’s is pretty superior. I think this Guardian’s ride long-term suits California Adventure better, especially as the Marvel attractions expand there, and this ride is a great way to start it all off. I loved the vibe of the ride because it really puts you in an excited mood as the Rocket the Raccoon yells at you and the music blares. The drops feel more fun and the building itself makes for some interesting scenery. This was both my mom and I’s favorite ride on this trip, and we have had many laughs about our experiences!


Attending Animation Academy Sessions: This was one of the highlights of our entire trip for both me and my mom. Every 30 minutes throughout the day, sessions are held to draw different Disney characters. We sat in for two sessions, the first Minnie Mouse and then Tigger. The whole concept was fun as it takes place in a classroom-style room, made up to look like an animator’s paradise. Characters and sketches fill the room, and I loved being able to spot some of my favorite characters like Mushu, Baymax, Remy, and Yzma. A pencil, clipboard, and paper are left for you, as you then follow along with the instructor for each step of your character. While I wasn’t super proud of my finished work, it does also make for a free souvenir. I honestly could spend a whole day here!


Staying for a Showing of World of Color: As I have said previously, as much as I wish I could enjoy the evening shows at the Disney Parks, I find that whenever I do, I feel that it is more of a struggle than anything, especially when I am quite tired at that point. I normally enjoy other attractions during this time, or head out a bit before they begin, but I made a point to see World of Color this time. While my spot wasn’t super ideal, the show was fun and I loved a lot of the music, as well as the beautiful shots of Mickey’s Fun Wheel behind the array of color spurts of water. It was a great way to end our trip.




Random Thoughts and Comparisons

Being able to go to both Disney World and Disneyland about one month apart was a very memorable summer. It ended up opening my eyes to the different experiences each resort area offers, and allowed me to see some things that could be improved at each park, as well as enjoy the things that feel especially unique at each location.

My main thought walking away from Disneyland was how different the experience is when compared to the Disney World “bubble.” While you can stay on Disneyland’s property, there are no “value” or “moderate” prices, meaning for many it is not really possible to pay those prices. For me, it really makes for a better experience to stay on property, and so being off property at Disneyland felt a bit more jarring then usual because I had experienced Disney World. In Anaheim we stayed at Hotel Indigo, which I would definitely recommend, but making the walk to and from the Parks each day does take you a bit out of the experience.

While Disneyland does have similarities to Disney World, that “bubble” of using Disney transportation, staying at the Disney Resorts, using MagicBands all around the Park, and other benefits that Disney World offers does make the overall vacation feel very different. Disneyland has the benefit of having a bit more quaintness and whimsy than Disney World though, even though it doesn’t feel that small amongst a bustling city once you are actually inside. There will always be something extra magical about it being the original park, and having more of Walt’s touch on original attractions. Having been to Disney World now though, I also wonder how Disneyland will continue to grow and change (hopefully never taking away the classic attractions) and am curious what lies ahead in its future, especially as the attention turns to Disney World for updates and new lands.

Prior to my research, I did also forget that Disneyland has a lot more seasonal rotation in terms of showtimes and opening or closing hours, which made me feel like my time was cut short. It wasn’t something I thought about much in the past, but it did seem to affect me this time around. 

As I am now a Pin Trading fan, I never noticed it much at Disneyland in the past, but now that my eyes were more peeled for it, it definitely had less visibility that what was available at Disney World. I had one pin I wanted to trade at Disneyland though, and found one pretty quickly that I wanted, so I have one pin for my memories. Because of the size difference Disney World does offer a lot more experiences like that to fill your time in various ways for many days.


I found myself more torn after these trips than I expected in terms of what Parks and experiences are my favorite, but in the end it just made my love for both Disneyland and Disney World grow. For those who are able to experience them, I find that they can be a beacon of hope and an escape from some of the scary things that happen in the world. While you may see an occasional angry parent, overly tired children, an unruly group of people, or people throwing trash wherever they want (all things that you will probably see once on every trip), the majority of the people at the Parks are spending their time there because they love being able to come somewhere that feels safe, happy, and special. It is sort of amazing that people travel from all over to experience the Parks, and how everyone leaves with something they enjoyed or can reminisce about, whether your travel there alone or with many. Somehow, the Parks manage to feel distinctive and personal to each individual, even as thousands of different people with different personalties come through the gates every day. I can’t help but realize what a privilege it can be to be able to afford to be able to go, but the feeling of being in this magical place is something I hope anyone who needs a bit of joyfulness can experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment