Sunday, April 5, 2015

Goofballs




This recipe is something I often had whenever I visited my grandmother growing up. She always called them “Goofballs,” but I have also heard them referred to as “Bunny Tails.” One day I was thinking about these treats, since I hadn’t had one is quite a while, and wondered why I had never tried making them myself. After I finished making them, and tasting them, I couldn’t believe I had never thought to make them at home.

So, to celebrate Easter, here’s how to make these delightful marshmallows, topped with creamy caramel and crunchy Rice Krispies.


What You’ll Need:
• 1 package of large marshmallows
• 1 box of Rice Krispies (or any brand of crisp rice)
• 1 bag of Kraft Caramels, unwrapped
• 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
• 1 10 oz can condensed milk 

• Parchment paper (to place the finished balls to cool)
• Knife/fork to use for dipping

Directions:

1. Prepare your work area by placing parchment paper out (I usually line cookie sheets with the parchment paper, so I can move the pans to another area.) Pour a large portion of the cereal into a large bowl and have the marshmallows ready to go.

2. Put your margarine, caramels and about 3/4 can of the condensed milk into a large bowl. Heat the ingredients in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring. Once it is all melted and blended, allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes (so it is easier to work with and won’t melt the marshmallow)

3. After the mixture is done, it is time to dip the marshmallows. This may require a few tries to get right, but it gets much easier once you get the hang of it. My process is to use a knife or fork to dip the marshmallow into the caramel mixture, then quickly move the coated marshmallow into the bowl of cereal. Once in the bowl of cereal, I remove it it from the knife/fork and coat it by rolling and pouring the cereal over it. Once cereal is all over the marshmallow, I roll it in a circle motion in my hands to keep it all securely together.

4. Place the finished marshmallow onto the wax paper to cool and repeat the process. You might need to wash your hands a few times during the process if your hands get too sticky. I also stirred the caramel mixture every few minutes to prevent it from getting stiff.

5. Allow the marshmallows to cool for about 20 minutes and then begin to enjoy! I tried to use up all of the marshmallows, and the caramel mixture was just about enough to do so.


* An optional step I have been doing is to boil some water and pour it into a bowl. Then carefully place the bowl of hot caramel over the bowl of hot water. This keeps the caramel hot during the whole process. 

* Additionally, one other tip I have is that these are great to put in the freezer and just take out a couple at a time when you want them. Since they make a pretty big batch, I put most of the balls in a container and put a piece of foil in between.



Here are some photos of the final product:








As I devoured these throughout the week, my mind started to think of other combinations that could be put together using the same method. So in the next two days, I will post my other two delicious creations (that I found even tastier than these!)


No comments:

Post a Comment