Friday, October 24, 2014

Lace Embellished Sweatshirts



Every fall and spring I tend to open up my closet and organize my wardrobe for the upcoming weather changes. This fall, as I was deciding what to keep or get rid of, I came upon a couple of cheap sweatshirts I bought last year from Forever 21. They are very basic, which always comes in handy on days when you can’t decide on an outfit or days you want to relax at home. I realized I hadn’t worn them in months and months though, but wasn’t ready to part with them. I thought about the ways I could change them up or make them more exciting. I had previously added lace to the bottom of a pair of jeans, and thought this idea would also work on updating these sweatshirts.




And here is what the final result was! Originally, only one of the sweatshirts had the lace on the sleeves. When I tried it on though, I thought it looked so cute, I added it to the other!





What is great about this project is how simply it updates something basic. It only takes a roll of lace (which I found for $2.50 at a fabric store, and I still have more remaining after using it on all three of these clothing items), thread, and a few pins to secure before sewing. For the jeans, I hand sewed the lace on. With the sweatshirts, I used a sewing machine. (Shout out to my mom, though who assisted me in making sure I didn’t make a mistake with my sewing!) Since the lace already has a band on it, it makes it easy to line up with the area you want to sew it onto. 

Since both the sweatshirts are so similar, one of my next projects will be figuring out an elbow patch.


No comments:

Post a Comment