Monday, December 22, 2014

Photo Jars



After a busy month (and starting a new job!), I am back with a few new fun projects! 

I originally saw the idea for these photo jars this past summer as I was scrolling through Pinterest. The idea was something I hadn’t seen amongst the many mason jar projects out there. I saved the project, and finally got around to trying it out and made it into a Christmas craft.

I initially struggled with the project, but I adapted the original instructions to fit what I had available to me and figured out how to fix the problems I was having. After taking a few days off from working on the jars, I came back with a fresh mind and ended up being quite pleased with the final product! Here is how I did it. 


What You’ll Need:
• An empty and clean jar (I used a mason jar and a hot fudge jar)
• Two acrylic paint colors (I used a multi-surface paint)
• Sponge brush
• Labels (scalloped or unique edges are great for a more creative look)
• Photos (printed or trimmed to be about the size of the label)
• Tape












Directions:
1. First, take you clean jar and place a label where you want your photo to peak through. The labels I used were completely sticky on the back, so I rubbed it slightly on the jar. Using a sticker label will prevent paint sneaking underneath, but you could also tape a paper label if you do not have stickers and are very careful.

2. Use your sponge brush to paint over the outside of the jar. Be careful to not put too much paint near the label, or it will be harder to remove and paint may find it’s way onto the are. The paint doesn’t need to be perfect, mine was quite streaky, but that will be improved later. Allow to briefly dry, then put one more coat. 

3. Allow the jar to dry to the touch. Then very carefully remove the label. I used two different label styles and both had a little different result. The basic scalloped label turned out perfect, but the more intricate design wasn’t as defined. What’s most important though is that a “window” is created for a photo.

4. Now, using your sponge brush again, take a second color and carefully sponge the color all around the jar. This will help the streakiness disappear. I suggest you get paint on your brush and pat it on a paper towel piece so it doesn’t glob all over the jar. I used a metallic gold paint for this step, which really gave it a nice touch and a bit of holiday spirit. 

5. After the paint is everywhere you want, allow your jar to dry completely.

6. Finally, it is time to add your photo. Trim the photo so it is a little bit larger than the “window.” Then tape it in the inside so it peaks out. Now your jar is perfect to give as a gift, put candy in, or use as a pencil holder. It could also work perfect as a vase (which the original instructions made it into), but you will need to put a small cup inside so water does not touch the photo. The jar works great if you have some cute accents or fake flowers too!


Here are some photos of the final product:

Before adding photos





Additionally, the original instructions also scraped over the raises and words on the jar. This step isn’t necessary, but I used a butter knife and scraped a little here and there and found that it did bring a bit more style. I also did not use a clear spray paint to protect the jar. The paint on my jar seemed pretty secure, but if you expect a lot of movement or wear and tear, a clear coat could be a good idea.

I have two more crafts and a few recipes coming soon, so stayed tuned! Merry-almost-Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment