Thursday, June 30, 2016

Harry Potter Mystery Minis Unboxing


Today I am sharing with you something I have been so excited for; Funko Harry Potter Mystery Minis! This is the first time I have ever purchased a full case Mystery Minis, but I knew I wanted to collect a large portion of the characters from my favorite series if I could. 


My Funko Pop! collection consists of Harry Potter, Marvel, and Disney figures (with a figure of ET and Rachel from Friends being the only anomalies). I may be a bit different in that I do take the figures out of the box, but I display them throughout my bookcase, which brings me a lot of joy and adds some extra life to my bedroom. 

Even more so than the Pop! figures, I am quite fond of Funko Mystery Minis. I do have a general rule though of getting only two per set I am interested in. This obviously means that I may not get the figure that I really want the most, but I do think it means that the two I end up with are very special to me, and that I shouldn’t end up with a duplicate (plus they can get quite expensive to buy more than two!). The only exception to my rule came earlier this year when Funko released the Disney Princess Mystery Minis, which featured the princesses and their sidekicks. I just couldn’t resist, and ended up with quite a few out of the series, including Hot Topic and Walgreens exclusives, before I had to had to stop due to getting a duplicate (Frog Naveen!) and fearing it happening again. 

Going into this Harry Potter set though, I didn’t want to go through the frustration and fear of randomly selecting characters and not getting the ones I want. Since the style and concept was so similar to the Disney Princess set, I was hoping that each human figure would be a 1/12 chance (with one 1/6 chance, like Elsa was in the Princess set) and the sidekicks being various odds. When I found out that this wouldn’t be the case, I was a bit disappointed, but then figured it would be nice to have pairings in this set, and looking at the odds, it looked like I would end up with four matching pairs (a very different situation from my Princesses).

Full case


Front of box

Sides of box


Back of box (with odds)


So here is how my unboxing went, along with a chart of how the case layout was for anyone who may want to know! I was so excited to unwrap each one, I could barely contain myself and felt like I was in a delightful bubble of magic the whole night from the thrill!


Top Layer:

Box 1: Fang (1/12 chance)


Box 2: Crookshanks (1/12 chance)


Box  3 and 4: Hermione Granger (1/6 chance)


Box 5: Hagrid (1/12 chance)


Box 6: Scabbers (1/12 chance)




Bottom Layer:

Box 1: Ron Weasley (1/12 chance)


Box 2: Hedwig (1/12 chance)


Box 3: Harry Potter (1/12 chance)


Box 4: Fawkes (1/36 chance) The “surprises” based on the odds started here, with the last three boxes in the left corner all unknown. 


Box 5: Voldemort (1/24 chance)


Box 6: Draco Malfoy (1/24 chance)




Full box layout:


My favorite character in the set is surprisingly Harry Potter. He is just so darn cute with his messy hair, glasses, and scar! I am also so pleased with Hagrid, since I don’t have a figure of him. Fawkes was the figure I was expecting not to get, and was in my top favorites of the sidekicks, so I was so excited to see those red feathers peeking out of the package. All of the figures have a great paint job. I especially love the tiny detailing of the striped Gryffindor ties! Ron is always my favorite character in the books/movies (and us Ron fans know how often he gets left behind in these sort of things) and actually really love Scabbers (even though he is Peter Pettigrew underneath that cuteness). My biggest grievance would maybe be that Hermione has a 1/6 odds. She is a really adorable, but I really think that Harry should have been the easiest odds (I mean, the series is CALLED Harry Potter!). 






In addition to this, there is going to be a Hot Topic exclusive set, which will feature a Triwizard outfit Harry instead of regular Harry, as well as a Yule Ball dress Hermione and flocked Crookshanks instead of Dumbledore/Fawkes. There will certainly be an abundance of Hermione’s in that box (and I personally think Ron should have been changed to his Yule Ball outfit if the other two were different). Those exclusive don’t really impress or entice me, which may be a good thing. Barnes and Noble will also be having exclusives, including a flocked Fawkes and a light purple outfit on Dumbledore (similar to the Michael Gambon version instead of Richard Harris). Instead of regular Harry and Hedgwig, a Quidditch Harry and Sirius in his animagus form (Padfoot) will replace that. These exclusives excite me more than the Hot Topic ones, so if I come across a box of these, I may try my luck for one of them!

I had some fun thinking of other characters I would have liked to see in this series, or a future series. My ideas for exclusives would have been maybe Ginny/Pygmy Puff and Neville/Trevor, or maybe even Sirius/Kreacher. A Sirius figure in his Azkaban outfit/animagus self Lupin/his werewolf self would have also been awesome. While Filtch is not the best character, he and Mrs.Norris would be a cool mix as well or maybe Umbridge and Grawp. I think a mandrake would be a really cool sidekick (maybe have the characters be wearing their outfits with the earmuffs) and Norbert, a Cornish Pixie, Aragog, Buckbeak, or Fluffy would have been cool variations as well. Above all, I really wish Snape would have been one of the possible figures, but initially struggled with what could have been his sidekick. My mom and I talked, and she thought of the doe patronus that Snape sends Harry to lead him to the Sword of Gryffindor. After talking about it, I really think that would have been such an amazing combination. Plus the patronus could have been painted in a such a cool color!

As for the figures I didn’t get in my box, I would love to get a Dumbledore or McGonagall, and if I do find a set at some point I may shake around and try my luck with those back three boxes. If I don’t ever get them though, I am thrilled that I was able to get a large chunk of the characters.

Overall, I am very happy that I decided to go for a full case. It was a bit spendy for such small figures (I had to keep a portion saved for the past couple months in anticipation!), but I know I will be keeping these forever and am planning a little display area for them in my room. I have some other Harry Potter keepsakes I would like to display with them, including a wand, poster, Hogwarts Express ticket, and a Gringotts bank note. I’ll update when it is all set up!


No comments:

Post a Comment