Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Look Around: My Makeup Bag


A few months ago I shared a look at my bulletin board. My bulletin board is one of my favorite things in my room, and something I enjoy looking at it whenever I need a moment of inspiration. It is present around me every day, and is a great way to show off what I like and display favorite moments or memories. Another thing that shows off personality and that I use every day is my makeup. While I keep it quite simple, I wanted to share what I keep inside it. During the past year or so, I have come upon some favorite items that I have repurchased and kept in my daily routine. Let’s take a look inside!

Beginning with the bag itself, what I store my makeup in is actually one of my favorite bags I own because of the Mulan design. I found this bag about two years ago in a clearance section at Walgreens. I couldn’t believe that they had my favorite Disney princess, since she can be pretty hard to find. Along with Mulan, they also had Pocahontas and Ariel. The collection was called “Dare to Dream,” and not only did I love the princesses they featured, I loved the watercolor images on the products. They had a selection of small and larger bags from the brand SOHO, as well as nail polish, lip balm, and makeup palettes. Because they were all on clearance, at 50% off or higher, I ended up getting the large Mulan clutch bag and two small rounded bags featuring Ariel and Pocahontas (they are perfect for holding little accessories or taking on trips!). I then went back and got the final small bag with Mulan for a friend who also loves Mulan (her dog unfortunately got a hold of that bag this winter though, and now it is gone. RIP small Mulan bag). Inside each bag also features a nice pattern with the silhouette of the princess, with the Mulan bag also containing a pocket. This bag have stayed in great condition so far, and I hope to keep it for many more years. 





Inside my bag, I keep a basic set of makeup brushes and tools. I found the set I am currently using at Hot Topic. While it isn’t fancy or super high-quality, it achieves what it is supposed to do. I personally don’t need too many tools to work with, and I have been able to keep this set clean and in good shape.


After taking out my bag, I always start my routine by using the Trader Joe’s “Enrich Moisturizing Face Lotion” on my face. I have been using this lotion for quite a few years now, and like it because it is light, fragrance free, and affordable. Just a small squeeze is enough to use all over my face, and helps keep my skin soft and more fresh. 


I then like to apply some lip balm, with EOS being my favorite. I have tried many of the scents available, and always manage to use up all of the balm. The current scent I have is called “Fresh Grapefruit with SPF 30,” which just might be my favorite. Before this one, my favorite was the “Sweet Mint,” but there is something extra moisturizing and fresh about this one. The SPF is also a plus. The “egg” style isn’t always my favorite to carry along with me though, so it works perfectly by being in my makeup bag. I am getting low on this, and plan to repurchase soon. 


After moisturizing my face and lips, I then go to my eyes. I start by putting on a small dot of eyeshadow primer. I have tried probably three brands, and my favorite is definitely the NYX “Proof It!”. I like that it is so light, and almost refreshing, on the eyelids. Plus, it is very easy to swipe on with the applicator and so silky to rub into the skin. I currently also have this product from Wet n Wild, which isn’t quite as good as the NYX one, but does the job. Since there is no applicator, you have to squeeze out a bit instead of directly being able to apply it onto your eyelid. The consistency is more thick and not as light either. Once on the lids though, I don’t notice it, which is important since you don’t want it to feel heavy on your skin. 



Next up is my eyeliner, which I usually choose in a brown color. Eyeliner is something I always use, but never feel confident in my application. I try to just draw a soft line along the bottom of my lid, and slightly smudge it. I have purchased this Essence “Long Lasting Eye Pencil” in hot chocolate many times in the past few years, because it is affordable, soft, and does the job well.


Now it is on to the main product, eyeshadow. My biggest purchase ever on a makeup item was for the Too Faced “Chocolate Bar.” I am not into the trend of these never-ending expensive eyeshadow palettes, but I bought this for $30, instead of the usual $50 (and it also came with two lip products!). I felt that it was a great deal to try a product I was interested in. The “chocolate” aspect definitely intrigued me, and the colors seemed pretty practical. Since I mostly stick with nudes, browns, and golds (anything else I never seem to make work), this palette had a lot of potential. I have had it for a year now, and so far I have gotten a lot of use out of it. The formula has held up well, and is comfortable on the eyelids. The cocoa scent is also a plus! I have definitely stuck to the lower left corner colors though (with “Hazelnut,” “Creme Brûlée,” and “Semi-Sweet” being my most-used colors), and don’t think I will manage to use much of the remaining colors once I run out of those. I am not very good at successfully blending, so I tend to stick with one color on the eyelid, and maybe a swipe of something else above it. I do enjoy this product, but I don’t think I would necessarily repurchase, as I would want to try something different.



Along with my larger eyeshadow palette, I also have a smaller one from Maybelline called “TruNaked Nudes.” I initially purchased this with a coupon intending to use it just for traveling. Since I don’t travel too much though, I moved it to my main makeup bag so I could get more use out of it before it gets too old. The formula is more powdery than I would prefer, but I am very fond of a few of the center colors, and have been using them more than my Chocolate Bar as of late. 


To finish up my eyes, I use the Covergirl “Clump Crusher” mascara in black. I find that most mascaras don’t stay super nice for too long, but this one has worked quite well for what I am looking for. For the first few weeks the clumping is very minimal and the brush applicator works well to add the right amount of mascara easily. I like that it is easy to separate the lashes and keep them not overly thick and full of gloopy mascara. While eventually the clumping control isn’t as great, this is one of the more successful mascaras I have used. This is my third tube of this product, and I will most likely buy it again.


Next up, I use my favorite BB cream, Covergirl “Clean Matte” in fair. This has been my go-to ever since I first tried it a year ago. I’m not normally very fond of matte products because they tend to be more noticeable and uncomfortable on my skin, but this product is light and not cakey. It blends well and I don’t need much for it to cover effectively. Since it is a BB cream, it doesn’t necessarily conceal any blemishes super well, but I like the simplicity of it and it adds just enough coverage for me. 


To finish up my makeup routine, I add some blush to my cheeks. I have been using the Physicians Formula “Mineral Glow Pearls Blush” in rose pearl for a while now, and have really liked it. It was my first Physicians Formula product, and I would buy a blush from them again. Not surprisingly, my lid has cracked off at the hinge, but other than that it has stayed in nice condition. This product does come with a flat brush in a bottom compartment, but I use my regular brush instead. I like the pearl aspect a lot, because it brings just a tinge of sparkle to the cheeks. For me, the blush really pulls the finished makeup look together, and it is my favorite part to add on to my face.



I also have a few highlighters, that I honestly just use as a bit of a bronze glow occasionally, since I have no skills in the highlighting department. Both are maybe a bit too dark for my very light skin, but it is nice to have another option apart from the blush. This ColourPop and Wet n Wild highlighter both work quite well as an eyeshadow!

While my makeup bag isn’t packed full of items, I like having a pretty compact collection of makeup. Essentially, I try to go for a natural look that freshens up a few spots, making me feel more put-together and ready to take on the day. I like lip products the most, so after finishing up my roughly 5 minute routine, I then choose a lip stick or gloss to take with me for the day. As I have slowly found some favorite items, I can keep the reliable basics, while being able to switch up items like blush, eye shadow, and lip color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment