Friday, August 25, 2017

Pumpkin Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have to admit that I feel a bit shocked over the current state of my desire for pumpkin. It is nearing September and I am not feeling the itch at all to go into pumpkin overload. Maybe I finally reached my maximum of pumpkin spice everything? Maybe all the pumpkin cereals and candies I tried last year were just too much? Maybe because pumpkin season arrives earlier and earlier, I feel like it wasn’t too long ago that I was enjoying pumpkin flavored everything? Whatever it is, I’m not sure I will be up for much pumpkin this year. Maybe that means NEXT year I will finally be ready for it all after a longer break. My favorite pumpkin treat is still pumpkin chocolate chip muffins though, so I will be continuing that yearly trend by baking a batch of them in a month or so. Last weekend, I picked up a can of pumpkin, just in case the craving for the muffins hit, and instead decided to try something new. I got a variety pack of chocolate chips (dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate), which I thought would go well in a batch of pumpkin cookies. These ended up so soft and luscious, and the variety of chocolates blended well alongside the warm spices. I froze most of them to have something ready for the fall, as I’m still in an iced tea and coffee state of mind. Once I pull out the warm teas though, these will be perfect to take out for a cozy treat.


Pan: A cookie sheet, with parchment paper lining the pan
Oven prep: After dough is chilled for one hour, bake at 350˚ F

What You’ll Need:
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 3/4 cup light brown sugar
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
• Dash of salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I ended up putting a bit more after tasting)
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/8 teaspoon cloves
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup variety of chocolate chips (I used a pre-packaged Nestle Triple Chip Morsels, but you could make whatever combination you like!)




Directions:
1. Melt the butter completely by heating in the microwave about 30-45 seconds.

2. Whisk the white and brown sugar into the melted butter until combined.


3. Add the egg yolk and vanilla, and mix again.

4. Whisk in the pumpkin, and mix until you reach a smooth consistency.


5. Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. You can adjust for taste and add more to your preference. I always end up adding more cinnamon.



6. Switching to a spoon, add the baking soda. In small amounts, add the flower and mix until the mixture is completely combined.

7. To finish up the dough, stir in the chocolate chips.


8. Cover the dough and place in the fridge for about an hour.


9. Preheat your oven to 350˚ F.

10. Once the dough is finished chilling, line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.

11. Begin rolling the dough into 1 inch balls, keeping them about 2 inches apart on the pan. I made about 20 cookies total, using three pans.


12. Bake each pan for about 10-12 minutes, until they are lightly browned on the bottom.

13. Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.

14. With the cookies finished, enjoy warm (for melty chocolate), chilled the next day (the spices really come out once they have been sitting a while), or freeze to enjoy later!



Here are some photos of the final product:





No comments:

Post a Comment