Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hocus Pocus Crafts


This may come as no surprise, but my favorite Halloween movie is Hocus Pocus. I was obsessed with the film as a child, and have been so happy to see that it has found its place in Halloween tradition. It wasn’t until the last few years that I realized that I was not so alone in my love for this film, since most people didn’t seem to know what I was talking about when I was a kid. My mom always wrinkled her nose when I mentioned Hocus Pocus, and it was only last year when I realized she hadn’t actually properly seen the movie. So I forced her to watch it, and now she is pretty fond of it (next I need her to actually watch The Goonies to wipe the face she makes about that one away too). It may be one of my favorite times of the entire year, given that the Sanderson Sisters will again soon be continually on tv through Halloween night. So far this year I have watched it once, during the anniversary of the film’s release in July. Other than that, I have been saving myself for multiple viewings during the next couple of weeks.

With Hocus Pocus being such an important part to my Halloween time, I felt that I needed some decor to celebrate. I wanted something fairly subtle to go alongside the other fall decorations I have, and came up with a couple of items to spruce up the living room for October (which is where I will be as I obsessively watch the movie).


(P.S. Both Spencer’s Gifts and Spirit Halloween stores also have Hocus Pocus Disney Licensed items if you are searching for something.)


Winifred Quote Frame

First up, I took one of my favorite quotes from the movie and used it to fill and decorate a frame. Both my mom and I say this “glorious morning” quote a bit too often, and so I thought it would make for a fun item to make. I started by finding an old and rustic looking frame and then drew a doodle of Winifred Sanderson. After finishing the graphic and adding the font, I began to assemble a spooky Salem-inspired piece.

What You’ll Need:
• Rustic frame (this one came from Gordman’s)
• Paper (I used a sheet of spiderweb patterned paper and a sheet of cream-colored velum paper)
• Scissors or paper cutter
• Glue (I used a bit of both Aleene's Tacky Glue and a glue stick)
• Hocus Pocus image or drawing 
• Decorations (I used a small broom, wood black cat, and glitter spiders that I found at Michaels)




Directions:
1. To begin the project, I cut my patterned paper to fit the size of the frame. I thought that using a mixture of patterned paper and velum paper would create a spookier look because of how it would appear with the two papers layered on top of each other. My patterned paper had spiderwebs on it, so by setting it underneath the velum, the spiderwebs peaked out underneath the image I would use.


2. Once I had my doodle of Winifred completed and my quote typed out alongside it, I cut my velum paper to fit my printer. I made my image using Adobe Illustrator, but you could put together an image to fit what images you like or what programs you have available. I practiced printing my image on regular printer paper first, since I only had one sheet of velum paper. Once tested, I carefully loaded the velum paper into the printer and guided it in once the image began printing. When it was finished, I was careful not to touch the image and allowed it to dry.


3. With the image printed and dried, I carefully trimmed the paper down. Because of the texture of the paper, the ink can very easily smudge, so you have to be careful when handling it. Once it was cut out, I used a glue stick to add a bit of adhesive to one corner of the image. I then attached it to my patterned paper. I only did one corner since I didn’t want anything else showing through the velum, and I knew I was going to attach a decoration in that area to hide it.

4. Over the bit of glue, I then attached my wooden black cat directly on top of the papers. I thought the black cat was perfect because of how he could represent the cat in the film, Thackery Binx. Thackery is one of my favorites in the film (plus he is voiced by Jason Marsden, who also voices Max Goof in a A Goofy Movie), and I thought this cat was a perfect way to represent him. After applying the cat, I set the entire image aside to dry. 


5. With the items that were going to go inside of the frame completed, I turned my attention to the outside of the frame. I started by gluing a small broom in one of the corners (too bad they don't sell a tiny vacuum cleaner…wink wink), and then attached glittery spiders to look like they were crawling around the frame.



6. Once everything was dry, I assembled everything by putting the image inside of the frame and securing it. Then it was ready to be displayed! 


Here are some photos of the final product:





Billy Butcherson Coffin
Next, I made a little coffin filled with Billy Butcherson, Winifred’s ex-lover whose mouth she sewed shut.

What You’ll Need:
 Wood coffin (I found a large selection at Michaels)
• Paint (I used black and white)
• Paint Brushes (I used a regular brush and a sponge brush)
• Pencil
• Billy Butcherson image
• Scissors
• Moss
• Glue (I used Aleene's Tacky Glue)
• Decorations (I used the leftover glitter spiders from my Winifred frame)

Directions:
1. I started the project by painting the wood coffin completely black, beginning on the inside. When I finished the inside, I allowed it to dry before painting the outside.


2. With the coffin completely painted black, I then wrote in pencil “RIP BILLY” on the front of the coffin. Using the letters as a guide, I wrote over them in glue. I then dried the glue overnight. This gave the coffin some texture. After finishing the project, I did wish I had added some more glue swirls around the coffin for even more texture, but I was happy enough with the result I did have.




3. Mixing white and black paint together, I created a gray color to sponge onto the outside of the coffin (leaving the inside black). I did a layer with dark gray, then added more white to the mixture to make a lighter gray and continued to sponge. I then created one more tint of gray by adding a little more white, followed by setting aside the coffin to dry again.


4. Once dry, I used a skinny paintbrush to write in the letters of “RIP BILLY” in black over the glue texture. This allowed for the words to be seen better over the gray paint.


5. Now it was time to add Billy. I used a basic picture of him I found, which only had his upper body and face. I cut it out around him and glued him into the coffin. 


6. To make Billy look like he was in an old and crusty coffin, I applied glue all around him and pressed down pieces of moss.


7. Finally, I added some glittery spiders to the inside and outside of the coffin to add a bit more decoration. Now, Billy looks quite at home!

Here are some photos of the final product:






No comments:

Post a Comment