Monday, October 16, 2017

Pumpkin Apple Smoothie


On a recent evening I was craving something for a snack and wanted to use up some leftover pumpkin that I had from making cookies. I also had a few not very tasty apples and a bit of milk, and wondered what I could do to use them up. I didn’t want to take up too much time mixing up anything or baking, so I thought a smoothie might be the answer. I have seen quite a few recipes for smoothies with pumpkin or apple, and decided to give it a try using what I had available. Here is what I blended up!

* Makes two smoothies

What You’ll Need:
 1/2 cup yogurt (I used plain Greek)
• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
• 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%, but any would work)
• 1 cup water
• Diced apple
• Dash of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg
• Scoop of ice
• (optional) Sugar, honey, or another sweetener



Directions:
1. Start by cleaning and dicing up your apple. I just left the skin on, but you can cut it off as well.

2. Combine the yogurt, pumpkin, and milk into your blender and blend until smooth. Add the water and blend again. 


3. Place your diced apple into the mixture and blend until it is completely combined.


4. To make the flavor a bit more warm and autumn inspired, add a combination of spices to suit what you like. I did a bit of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg (plus went back and put more cinnamon), which went nicely with the pumpkin apple flavor. 


5. To finish up your smoothie, crush and blend some ice cubes into the mixture to get the thickness you want. I like my smoothies more thin, so I just added a small handful. Since the smoothie isn’t very sweet, you can also add some type of sweetener to brighten up the flavor a bit.



Here are some photos of the final product:




No comments:

Post a Comment