Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Movie Review: The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1


During the fall of my freshman year of college I devoured The Hunger Games series in the school library in between my classes. The beginning of something new is always a little scary, and whenever I think about those books I get a warm, happy feeling remembering how they helped me through those first few weeks. I couldn’t stop thinking about Katniss’s world and quickly read through the three books. That spring it was announced the books would be made into films and Jennifer Lawrence was cast in the pivotal role. I was anxious to see if the movies would live up to what I had imagined and obsessively thought about. While I have enjoyed the first two Hunger Games films, I didn’t experience quite the urgency and fast paced excitement the books made me feel.

Mockingjay was my least favorite book in the series, so going into this film I didn’t have many expectations. I did hope a few things would be changed or adapted to make for a better conclusion, and I was pleasantly surprised what the film offered to viewers. 

While the first two films had flashy Capital moments, bright costumes, and a huge arena filled with startling surprises, the story is allowed to push forward as we find Katniss after her rescue from the Quarter Quell. She must deal with the news that Peeta was taken to the Capitol, District 12 has been destroyed, and she is being expected to be the face of the rebellion. Seeing Katniss deal with her new surroundings at District 13 and grappling with what her life has become is electrifying, especially as she begins to embrace her position and become a leader. The presence of Effie, Haymitch, and Caesar give the film a familiar warmth that was needed in the colder setting.

I have seen that the critics haven’t been particularly fond of this film, and I must disagree. I can understand the feelings that this movie isn’t necessarily perfect because going in you know there is no ending, since Mockingjay Part 2 doesn’t come out until 2015. Even if this movie is more “slow” and “bleak“, I don’t think that makes it dull. The quieter moments show us what really is at stake and we get to see the emotions really expand. After Katniss endured two films in a death-filled arena, it was nice to see the toll it had taken and her reluctance to be the a leader. 

One of the best moments comes when Jennifer Lawrence sings “The Hanging Tree” while she is out filming campaigns for the rebellion. Additionally, Josh Hutcherson's scenes as Peeta are intense and give the Katniss a compelling urgency to her actions.

While I did disagree with the decision to split the book into two films, I found myself vey pleased with Mockingjay Part 1. The characters are excellently performed by the cast and the final moments set up for a very exciting conclusion. I will be looking forward to the final installment next November.





No comments:

Post a Comment